Remembering Human Rights Day
On December 10, 2021, the world comes together to honor Human Rights Day. This year the theme centers on equality. This celebration is a reminder that as human beings we are all born free and are entitled to equal rights and a dignified life.
Equality and non-discrimination are at the pulse of human rights. Beyond Human Rights Day, we should all be reminded of this principle. In our own way, we can be an agent of change to find solutions to issues that are rooted in discrimination that is pervasive across all communities.
You might think to yourself that this is such an overwhelming task, but we are reminded of this beautiful quote from David Mitchell, “My life amounts to no more than one drop in a limitless ocean. Yet what is any ocean, but a multitude of drops?”
Every act of goodwill spurs another! With this in mind, you can promote equality in your own little way. How do you start? Here are some simple ways:
- Challenge your own values! Whether you like it or not, we are nurtured by a society with a set of values and beliefs including prejudices that we may not be aware of. By checking in with ourselves and challenging our own preconceived truths about people, we begin to embody equality, inclusion, and non-discrimination.
- Love to read? Add literature on Human Rights to your reading list!
- Are you an entrepreneur selling products or services? Support cooperatives that employ people who are part of vulnerable groups. You can also tweak your human resources to be more inclusive by listening to your employees on how to improve a work environment that promotes equality.
- As a student, stand up against stereotyping by being open to a new friendship. Who knows, maybe that’s what “that” single person in your class needs the most!
- Support brands that are investing in the work of disadvantaged communities. For example, here at Women’s Peace Collection, we work with different cooperatives comprised of marginalized women across the globe.
- Use your voice! Many of you are on social media, so you can spread awareness about human rights by sharing your thoughts with your followers and friends. Dedicate an Instagram story or a post feed to it from time to time. It’s up to you!
- Smile. A smile can brighten up your day and someone else’s. That single act of greeting another with a smile is a form of respect and acknowledgment— no strings attached! So smile because that’s what this world needs right now.
By embodying the spirit of respect for all life, you are creating a ripple effect on a personal level— so never ever think little of yourself. You are made to make a mark in this world in your own way!
Leave a comment